Reclaim the City Co-ordinating Committee members
First row from left: Elizabeth Qgoboka, Belinda Diedericks, Sheila Madikane.
Second row from left: Aneziwe Cekiso, Mpho Diniso, Lindiwe Beyi, Nomfusi Msizi, Nozuko Bhalindlela, Mona Asher, Karen Hendricks, Faghmeeda Ling.
Third row from left: Bevil Lucas, Denver Arendse, Quinton Moos, Ricky Asher, Adamo Nibizi, Lukhanyo Madyibi, Deena Bosch.
Co-opted: Shaneeka Abdullah
By-elected: Ayanda Denge, Dumisani Mavata, Nazism Adams, Sophia Swartz & Wilson Ngcombela.
Missing from the photograph: Shahied Meisenheimer.
Resigned: Jennifer Williams, Jonathan Karalse, Samuel Mohaleamalla, Khanyisa Magabela & Zolile Zondo.
Reclaim the City operates as a collective. There is no one person in charge. Instead, Reclaim the City is led by a flat structure of leaders who are elected and work collaboratively and through discussion and consensus to govern the movement and lead campaigns. The Coordinating Committee is the highest decision-making structure of Reclaim the City.
Who sits on the Coordinating Committee?
- The Chapter Leadership Committee of each Chapter;
- The House Leadership Committee of each House; and
- Representatives from supporting organisations
- Up to two co-opted members who provide expertise. Currently Shaneeka Abdullah has been co-opted to work with Children across the movement.
What does the Coordinating Committee do?
- We make strategic decisions on behalf of Reclaim The City to advance our campaigns and we help prepare a monthly programme of work.
- We set up Committees and Task Teams that we need from time to time.
- We discipline members of Reclaim The City.
- We are responsible for all finance and fundraising.
- We build relations of solidarity and support with other movements and organisations.
- We help to establish new Chapters and Houses.
- We ensure that an Annual Congress takes place.
- We initiate and oversee all litigation and legal matters.
- Select spokespeople to speak to the media.
- Run or facilitate access to education and training for members.